Another area has been in the development of ontologies and classification systems - something quite critical in the area of information management and privacy. Some of this dates back to work we made with the M3 project and the whole idea of SmartSpaces incorporating the best of the Semantic Web, Big Data etc.
We've gained quite a considerable amount of value out of this relatively, simple industrial-academic partnership. A small amount of funding, no major dictatorial project plans but just letting the project and work develop naturally, or even if you like, in an agile manner, produces some excellent, useful and mutually beneficial results.
Indeed not having a project plan but just a clearly defined set of things that we need addresses and solved (or just tackled - many minds with differing points of view really does help!) means that both partners: the industrial and the academic, can get on with the work rather than battling an artificial project plan which becomes increasingly irrelevant and industrial focus and academic ideas change over time. Work continues with more ontology engineering in the OntoED project.
- I. Oliver, J. Howse, G. Stapleton. Protecting Privacy: Towards a Visual Framework for Handling End-User Data. IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, San Jose, USA, IEEE, September, to appear, 2013.
- I. Oliver, J. Howse, G. Stapleton, E. Nuutila, S. Torma. Visualising and Specifying Ontologies using Diagrammatic Logics. In proceedings of 5th Australasian Ontologies Workshop, Melboune, Australia, CRPIT vol. 112, December, pages 37-47, 2009. Awarded Best Paper
- J. Howse, S. Schuman, G. Stapleton, I. Oliver. Diagrammatic Formal Specification of a Configuration Control Platform. 2009 Refinement Workshop, pages 87-104, ENTCS, November, 2009.
- I. Oliver, J. Howse, G. Stapleton, E. Nuutila, S. Torma. A Proposed Diagrammatic Logic for Ontology Specification and Visualization. 8th International Semantic Web Conference (Posters and Demos), October, 2009.
- J. Howse, G. Stapleton, I. Oliver. Visual Reasoning about Ontologies.International Semantic Web Conference, China, November, CEUR volume 658, pages 5-8, 2010.
- P. Chapman, G. Stapleton, J. Howse, I. Oliver. Deriving Sound Inference Rules for Concept Diagrams. IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, Pittsburgh, USA, IEEE, September, pages 87-94, 2011.
- G. Stapleton, J. Howse, P. Chapman, I. Oliver, A. Delaney. What can Concept Diagrams Say? Accepted for 7th International Conference on the Theory and Application of Diagrams 2012, Springer, pages 291-293, 2012.
- G. Stapleton, J. Howse, P. Chapman, A. Delaney, J. Burton, I. Oliver.Formalizing Concept Diagrams. 19th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems, International Workshop on Visual Languages and Computing, Knowledge Systems Institute, to appear 2013.