Diagrams are an effective means of conveying a wide variety of different sources of information. They play a vital role in communication at many levels, and the quality of diagram layout effects the ease of communication. Creating task-adequate layouts is surprisingly difficult, and the cognitive factors involved are often not very well understood. The automatic generation of diagrams is essential for many tasks such as the presentation of multiple views of large scale data sets. In many domains, tool support is not satisfactory. The workshop aims to bring together different communities that can learn from each other, both within different academic disciplines and between academia and industry.
We solicit original submissions related to diagram layout, in areas including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Layout algorithms ;
- Layout design styles, guidelines and patterns;
- Automatic diagram generation and transformation techniques;
- Visual language theory (e.g. quality metric development) ;
- Visualisation of constraints, algorithms, and tools;
- Cognitive or empirical research on diagram layout;
- Diagram layout for diagrammatic reasoning, knowledge representation, etc;
- Application areas (e.g. system modelling, ontology visualisation, etc, with an emphasis on layout requirements and benefits).
The proceedings of this workshop will be published in the journal of Electronic Communications of the EASST (TBC). All papers must conform to the ECEASST format. All papers must be submitted electronically in the PDF format via the EasyChair submission system. Each submission will be reviewed by 3 reviewers, as usual.
The intention is that after the workshop the authors of the best papers will be invited to submit a revised and significantly extended version of their article to a special issue of a sutiable journal (e.g. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing or the journal of Software and Systems Modeling).
- Abstract Submission: June 11th, 2012
- Paper Submission: June 18th, 2012
- Notification to Authors: August 8th, 2012
- Camera Ready Submission: August 30th, 2012
- Workshop Dates: Oct 4th, 2012