Tuesday 16 August 2011

Pluto's Fourth Moon

Not so long ago a fourth moon around Pluto was discovered by the Hubble Space Telescope and was given the temporary name of S/2011 P1 which contrasts slightly with the other 3: Charon, Nyx and Hydra.

The New Horizon's team announced on their twitter feed a request for suggestions for a name - along with a similarly themed article on New Scientist (400+ suggestions so far).

So, here's my suggestion: Apate - being the the daughter of Nyx (already used as a name for another moon of Pluto) and a suitable nasty character from Greek mythology to match the rest of the Plutonian gang.

I sent this as a tweet to the New Horizon's team as they asked :-)   You never know I could be following in the footsteps of Venetia Burney.

Aside: 3 posts in one day....I guess I'm taking up for not posting so much recently and working through a back-log of things I have meant to record for posterity....









No comments: